On Your Way to Building a Stronger Team
Who doesn’t love a strong team? Cohesive units work more productively and produce top notch results. Great companies come from great employees! The best way to build a strong team is to create a positive work environment. No one will thrive in a overly competitive and cutthroat mentality. Cynthia Johnson with Entrepreneur.com
wrote 6 great tips on building a stronger team that we’d like to share with you now.
- “Focus on roles.” Every team member should be carefully picked and placed into the role they’re best suited for. You can’t just fill bodies within your company in order to have employees. This will create a high turnover rate and people not fully invested in the company. You want to find loyal and thoughtful, hard workers that will thrive in the role they are in. Basically, you want employees who are in it for the long haul. Investing your time and money in finding the RIGHT people for each position will create a much stronger team in the long run.
- “Value each role.” Since you individually picked each person for each position, you want to treat each and every role as necessary and important. Each team member should feel as if they are just as important as the others, that their job matters. If they start to feel underappreciated, their work will suffer. So, remember to truly value all the members of your team and appreciate the individual strengths they bring to the table.
- “Communicate.” We know from previous blogs how absolutely vital communication is within a strong team dynamic. Communication is they key to any healthy relationship. Focusing on having real and meaningful conversations can go a long way. Make sure to include the whole team in important conversations– that way no one feels like they aren’t apart of the decision making process. Try to keep a certain level of transparency throughout the whole team whenever possible. An open line of communication really does create a much more productive work space. Giving each member of the team a voice will speak volumes to the team dynamic.
- “Set goals.” We’ve already talked quite in depth about realistic goal setting, so you all are already experts, right? We know that setting both long term and short term goals help set ourselves up for success! Set your goals and then FOLLOW THROUGH on them. The team can help motivate each other to realize their goals– or even help achieve them. Afterall, everyone wants the company to succeed.
- “Celebrate success and failures.” We’re back to creating that culture of success. Celebrating the big wins, milestones, and even the little wins will help bring the employees together as a team. People need each other. Recognize your team members for their success and it will go a long way in creating a lasting relationship. It will make each person feel valued for their hard work– and we remember why that’s important from step number 2.
- “Know each other.” Of course, you don’t have to be best friends with everyone in the office, but getting to know the people on your team will help immensely. Having offsite lunches or once a month adventures will allow the team to be comfortable with each other (which means better, stronger teamwork). Plus you can learn each person’s quirks and styles of work.
So, what do you think? These little things will go a LONG way in creating a strong team dynamic and even stronger results. Think you’re up to the team building challenge?